view a plan
“Silent ball” is a fun physical and educational game for math or any subject
Math, P.E. & Health
Title – Silent Ball Review Game Idea
By – Shorti
Primary Subject – Math
Secondary Subjects – PE Grade Level – 5
- “Silent ball” is a fun physical and educational game that can be adapted to review any subject.
- Questions, chairs and a ball
- Tell students that you are going to play a fun indoor game, but they have to be completely silent unless called on.
- Tell students to stand on their chairs.
- Give the ball to a student.
- Ask flash card math questions like “What is the product of 6 x 7?”
- The first student that raises their hand may answer the question.
- If this student answers correctly, the ball is passed to them. If they answer incorrectly, they must sit down and another person with their hand up gets called.
- The faster the game is played, the more fun it is.
- Since this is “Silent Ball,” students that blurt out answers or make noise must sit down.
- Continue until you run out of standing students, questions or time.
- The last student standing wins.
- Silent Ball can be used to review any subject:
- Language Arts: Define the word motto. Spell the word – physical. Give an example of the literary term – onomatopoeia.
- Social Studies: What is the capital of North Dakota? Which president was the principal author of the Declaration of Independence? Briefly describe the 13th amendment to the Constitution.
- Science: An omnivore eats only ______? What planet is closest to the sun?
- Art: Who painted the Mona Lisa? Name an impressionist.
- Music: Name two wind instruments. Who composed the Maple Leaf Rag? How many sixteenth notes equal one quarter note?