view a plan
This is an idea for rounding “bossy” numbers
Title – Rounding “Bossy Numbers”
By – April McElroy
Primary Subject – Math
Grade Level – 3
- To help students with rounding.
- First, I ask them what a boss does. We discuss that sometimes bosses give their employees promotions.
- I then tell them that “5,6,7,8, and 9″ are bossy numbers and are the ONLY numbers that can give promotions.
- We then start with rounding to the nearest ten. I teach them to always underline the place to which they are rounding and circle the number to the right.
- They ask themselves, “Is the number circled a “bossy number?” If yes, then I draw an arrow to the number in the tens place and “he gets a promotion.” We increase the digit by one and all other numbers following the bossy number become zero.
- We then practice with rounding to the nearest hundred and thousand. Underlining the digit really helps, especially when rounding a number in the thousands to the nearest ten or hundred.
- They love it and I have them teach their parents for part of their homework.
E-Mail April McElroy !