view a plan
A fun idea for an online lesson on Leap Year
Computers & Internet, Math, Science
8, 7, 5, 6, 4
Title – Leap Year Day
by – Lorah A. Perry
Subject – Math, Science, Computers & Internet
Grade Level – 5-8
Today is a special and unusual day that happens only once every 4 years.
1) When did the practice of adding a day to the calendar begin?
2) Because everyone in the world had different time measuring tools, there were problems. What were the 4 problems listed?
3) To temporarily solve this how many days were added to the Julian Calendar in 46 BC?
4) What did the astronomer Sosigenes calculate the length of a year to be?
5) What did Sosigenes use to find these calculations?
6) What was his solution?
7) Why was the day added to February?
8) This was not a permanent solution. Christopher Clavius recalculated the data. What did he do with his results and a solution?
9) Who was the Pope and what did he do?
10) What was Clavius’ solution?
11) What do we call the year 2000?
12) How long do we estimate a year to be? a day?
E-Mail Lorah !