view a plan
This multiplication warm-up lesson teaches the idea that real things come in multiples
By – M. Llenin
Primary Subject – Math
Grade Level – 3-4
Concept / Topic To Teach:
- The idea that real things come in multiples to pre-teach multiplication.
- The students will understand the real life applications of multiplication.
- This is a great lesson to do prior to beginning teaching times tables, as it gets the students very excited to begin.
- paper or write-on/wipe-off tablets
- pencils or wipe-off markers
- Explain to students that today they are going to brainstorm things that come in multiples. They will work in groups (I recommend at least 4 students per group) to help each other come up with ideas, the more creative – the better.
- To keep the noise level down, I tell the students that if any other group hears their answers they are free to take them and add them to their own lists. This works like a charm.
- Let students record their answers in whichever way you choose. After a set amount of time, around 3 minutes is sufficient, ring the bell that indicates time is up for this round.
- It works like this: start with things that come in 2s. Say “a pair of shoes” to help them get started. You will be amazed at how many clever answers they can come up with. Continue with all the tables, realizing that some numbers, especially nine (United States Supreme Court judges – planets if you count Pluto), are hard. But there are seven days in a week, 6 eggs in a half dozen, 3 wheels on a tricycle, etc.
- The next lesson would be to take their answers and add sets, i.e. if one car has 4 wheels, 7 cars will have _____ wheels. You will have students multiplying in no time!
Plan For Independent Practice:
- Challenge them to come up with some different answers at home.
- Make a book of their answers with cute accompanying pictures.
- Hopefully your students will now be excited to begin multiplication!
E-Mail M. Llenin !