view a plan
This is a word problem game idea
By – Chelsea Larson
Primary Subject – Math
Grade Level – 3rd
Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills Math Standards:
- (4.4) Number, operation, and quantitative reasoning.
- The student multiplies and divides to solve meaningful problems involving whole numbers.
- The student is expected to:
- (B) Represent multiplication and division situations in picture, word, and number form.
- Students should work nicely in groups.
- Students should try to answer all questions.
- Students will be good sports to their teammates and other teams.
- Word problems made up on the kids’ level.
- White board
- Markers for each group
- Make up the word problems that you are going to use for the game and print them all out.
- Move the kids to the floor and have them sit with their group.
- Get white boards and review math skills.
- Choose groups and a ‘runner.’
- Figure out which person to come hit the bell when the group has figured out the answer.
- Explain that only the runner can get up and no one else.
- Get the white boards and go over the rules of the game.
- Have the kids come down to the floor with all of their materials and group.
- Start game when everything is ready.
- Ask each question, have the runner come up, and then let the kids go up to the board and explain it.
- Tally up each time a group gets a point.
- Winners get a prize.
- Have the kids put back all of their materials and go back to their desks.
- Ask if they had too much trouble with any of the questions, what they needed to work on, and if they would like to play the game again.