view a plan
Here is a holiday idea for all ages involving symbols, terminology, composition, and the pentatonic scale
K, PreK, 4, 2, 3, 1
Title – Create a Holiday Tree and Song
By – Becky Wszalek
Primary Subject – Music
Secondary Subject – Art Grade Level – PreK-4
This lesson can be used for any subject matter on any grade level. Just adapt it to meet your needs. For example; technology teachers may want their students to create their ornament using Printshop or any other program. Language Arts teachers could have them include vocabulary words or even a short story (on a big ornament of course). When you are finished, hang up your large tree on a large bulletin board, or make a separate tree for each class. Decorate it with the ornaments and there you go! I hope you have fun with this, I know I will:)
- A. Students will use music terminology and music symbols on their art project.
- B. Students will work together to write a school song for the holidays and then learn to sing it together.
- C. Students will learn what a pentatonic scale is.
II. Music SOL’s Covered:
- 1.1 1.2 1.9 1.4
- 2.9 2.1 2.8 2.2 2.4
- 3.8 3.2 3.1 3.6
- 4.7 4.1 4.2 4.11 4.4
- 5.6 5.1 5.9 5.2 5.3
- A. Pre-cut circles cut from white paper
- B. Crayons, markers, etc.
- C. Green Tree cut out of Bulletin Board paper
- D. A creative mind
- A. Show examples to generate ideas.
- B. Each student is given a pre cut circle as an ornament
- C. They take their time in planning out what they will put on their ornament. Use scrap paper to practice (just like a composer takes his/her time to create music.)
- D. They put their design on the circle – it must include some music symbols or terms.
- E. Decorate their ornament.
- F. Explain that each class will do this project together and create a Holiday Tree. Each class will also work together to create a Holiday song which we will all learn.
- G. Each class picks a note from a pentatonic scale that they would like to use in the song.
- A. Finished product.
E-Mail Becky Wszalek !