view a plan
Young students make and decorate bean-filled coffee can shaker instruments here
Art, Math, Music
K, 1, 2
By – Dr. Kathleen Wild
Primary Subject – Music
Secondary Subjects – Art, Math
Grade Level – K-2
- One coffee can with a plastic lid
- Construction paper
- Stickers of any kind
- Scotch tape
- Dry beans of any kind (peas, navy beans, etc.)
- Two different colors of streamers or you could use different colored ribbon
- Measuring cup
- Wipe out the coffee can make sure it is clean inside.
- Let it dry for 5 minutes.
- Now, have the student measure about 3/4 to 2 C. of dry beans and pour them into the can.
- Place the lid on the can after filling with beans.
- Using the scotch tape, tape the lid with it all around the can so that the beans will not fall out when student is shaking it.
- Measure the can and cut the colored construction paper to fit around the can.
- Tape the paper onto the can below the lid.
- Now, using the stickers, let the student decorate the can placing stickers onto the construction paper.
- Measure and cut 4 to 6 strips of ribbon or paper streamers about 12″ long each.
- Next, the student can tape the streamers onto the shaker can.
- Now that your project is complete, let each student have a turn shaking to a song or a rhythm that they like.
- After each student has had a turn, let all of the students perform together as a group.
- You could even have a parade outside of the school or at a Parent’s Night.
- If you want to teach counting, tell students to shake their shakers 5 times, or six times.
- This is a very nice and relaxing way to start a day with music. Best of all, they made their own instruments !
E-Mail Dr. Kathleen Wild !