view a plan
Here students express their emotions while taking a musical and artistic trip to the “Saint-SaÃ«ns” Zoo
By – Justin Kvedaras
Primary Subject – Music
Secondary Subjects – Art
Grade Level – 2
Concept To Teach:
- Musical Expression / Emotions
- MENC 6,7,8
- Students listen to Camille Saint-SaÃƒÂ«ns’
Carnival of the Animals
- and express emotions by drawing animals and settings.
- Students effectively display emotions drawn from music.
- CD/Tape player
- small sheets of paper for students to practice on
- large sheets of paper with space to draw animals (zoo)
- markers/colored pencils
- recording of Carnival of the Animals .
Anticipatory Set (Lead-In):
- In the class leading into this lesson, talk about Camille Saint-SaÃƒÂ«ns and his music.
- Break class into groups (2-3 students per group).
- Hand out small sheets of paper for each student to practice drawing animals on.
- Assign each group one or two animals they will draw on the zoo.
- Play the movement that corresponds with the animals selected.
- Students share space, and each student gets to draw at least one animal in assigned section.
- For example: all students in group will draw one lion (2-3 lions in section); all students from another group will draw a turtle (2-3 turtles).
Possible Connections To Other Subjects:
Related Lesson Plan (grades 3-7): http://www.lessonplanspage.com/MusicLACarnivalOfTheAnimals-MusicToStoryActIdea37.htm
E-Mail Justin Kvedaras !