view a plan
“Music Baseball” is a note and symbol review game
6, 7, 8
Title – Music Baseball Note/Symbol Review
By – Jenny Davis
Primary Subject – Music
Grade Level – 6-8
Concept/Topic to teach:
- Review treble/bass staff note names, note values, dynamic markings, other music symbols. Prior to review session, students should learn names/values of notes (treble and bass clefs), dynamic markings and meanings.
- Flash cards with notes/symbols
- Divide class into 2 teams.
- Defensive team will place one person at home, and one at each base.
- Set up room like baseball diamond. One designated pitcher (usually teacher) will show cards to 2 students at “home plate”.
- Rules are:
- 1. If a tie at home, tie goes to “batter” – they are safe.
- 2. FIRST CORRECT answer counts – if “catcher” or “baseman” is correct, at home the batter gets 3 chances; if on base, runner is automatically out.
- 3. Outs/strikes as in regular baseball.
- 4. First thing out of students’ mouth is counted as answer – even if it is um or uh.
- 5. No assistance from teammates.
- 6. Teams who talk get automatic outs.
- For an additional “twist”, have students clap correctly the cards with rhythms only on them; also have student name both Italian and English meanings for dynamic symbols.
E-Mail Jenny Davis !