view a plan
In this lesson, students compose an instrumental piece using pictures
Title – Composition
By – Sharon Webster
Primary Subject – Music
Grade Level – 2
- Students will compose an instrumental piece using pictures.
- Poster board with pictures presented on it (i.e. dots, stars, zigzags, and circles)
- rhythm instruments
- barred instruments
- As a class, look at the pictures on the poster board. One set could be dots, stars, zigzags, and circles, but any four pictures would do. Have one student select an instrument to represent one of the pictures. Choose another student to select a different instrument for another picture until four instruments have been chosen.
- Ask students why they chose their instruments.
- Divide the class into four groups, each group representing a picture.
- Hand out the selected instruments to the students.
- Point to a picture. The group assigned to that picture plays their instrument. More than one picture may be selected at once. Dynamics may also be added.
- Ask for student conductors.
- How did it feel to compose music together as a class?
- Was it fun conducting your classmates?
- Would you change any of the instruments that were selected for the piece? Why?
- What would you name this piece of music? Why?
E-Mail Sharon Webster !