view a plan
This is a music lesson on dynamics
October 21 1996
Lesson # I
Song: If All of the Raindrops
Musical Element: Dynamics (fortissimo and pianissimo)
Concept: The students will experience a change in dynamics that will also be visually represented by the children’s changing stance when singing fortissimo and pianissimo.
– – The students will sing “If All of the Raindrops…”
– – The students will demonstrate understanding of dynamics by singing part of the song loudly and repeating the song and singing that same part softly.
– – The students will use their arms when singing loudly and crouch down when singing softly.
Materials needed: Instrument to give starting pitch.
Preliminary procedures: The teacher will discuss with students how music can be played loudly and softly and that students can sing loudly and softly.
1. Teach “If All of the Raindrops…” using the rote method. The teacher can take suggestions from students about different foods that could make up the raindrops and sing additional verses.
2. The teacher explains that singers use their voices to make certain parts of the song louder. The teacher continues by explaining that during the “uh uh uh uh” portion of the song students will sing it louder and use their arms to express how that part of the song is louder.
3.The teacher explains that singers can also use their voices to make certain parts of the song softer. This time during the “uh uh uh uh” portion of the song students will sing softly and crouch down to demonstrate how that part of the song is softer.
The teacher will lead the students in singing the song 3 more times – – once using normal voices, the second time using fortissimo voices, and the third time using pianissimo voices. The teacher can listen for the changes in dynamics and watch if the children change positions as the dynamics change. If the students seem to have a fairly good understanding of the process, the teacher can use suggestions from the students about different foods that could make the raindrops.
Follow – up:
The teacher will review what was experienced and discussed about dynamics and fortissimo and pianissimo.
If All the Raindrops…