view a plan
Here’s an outline of an introduction to band instruments lesson
5, 4, 3, 2, 1
By – Aaron Harper
Primary Subject – Music
Grade Level – 1-5
- NYS Standards #2
- Make a list of all the instruments in a school band.
- Students will learn about various instruments in a school band.
- Piccolo, Flute, Soprano Clarinet, Alto Clarinet, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Baritone Sax, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Oboe, French Horn, Snare Drum, etc.
- Teacher will first give a brief overview on the many roles of a school band.
- Teacher will then explain the three different instrument families in a band (Woodwind, Brass, Percussion).
- Starting with the Woodwinds, the teacher will introduce each instrument explaining its purpose, sound and construction. A sound demonstration will be given.
- For Brass, see step 3.
- For Percussion, see step 3.
- The students will be able to answer different questions about the instruments they have witnessed.
- Students are to pick two separate instruments and list their similarities and differences in a short essay.
E-Mail Aaron Harper !