view a plan
“Musical Twister” is game idea for reviewing the names and symbols of notes and rests
6, K, 5, 4, 2, 3, 1
By – Patricia Trader
Primary Subject – Music
Grade Level – K-6
- One full or queen size flat sheet;
- colorful Sharpie pens;
- index cards (four colors if possible).
- To learn/review the names and symbols of notes and rests.
- Draw four of each note and rest on the sheet ( whole, dotted half, half, dotted quarter, quarter, dotted eighth, eighth, and sixteenth ). The symbols should be large enough for a hand or foot to be placed on it, and spread out sufficiently to fill the entire sheet. The more colors – the more cheer.
- Draw the same symbols on the index cards – once for each hand and foot ( right and left ).
- Introduce/review the symbols used in the game and identify them on the sheet.
- Divide the class into four teams, with each team assigned to each side of the sheet.
- The game is played tag-team style, beginning with one person from each team physically playing the game. Other teammates assist in locating the appropriate symbol. After several rounds, a new player tags into the game.
E-Mail Patricia Trader !