view a plan
This is a “Name That Tune” game filler idea
2, 3, 4, 5
Title – Name That Tune
By – Dan Hiles
Primary Subject – Music
Grade Level – 2-5
- This is a musical game that my students love to play. I divide the class into two teams. I divide each team into two columns. I look for a student “who is sitting quietly” to keep score as well.
- Each team picks an instrument as their “buzzer.”
- One student at a time from each team takes a turn trying to name the song from the rhythm I tap on a pair of claves. These are songs that we’ve done in class or can be simple folk songs as well. If the students are having a hard time figuring it out, hum the melody for them.
- Whoever buzzes first and answers the full name of the song, gets a point. After everyone on both teams has taken a turn, the team with the most points is declared the winner of the game.
- In my class, students that try giving an answer to their teammate are penalized by seeing the other team get a point. This could be modified to fit your style.