view a plan
Subject Area: English/Language Arts
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Class Time: 50 minutes
Grade Levels: 3 – 5
Whole class participation: 2 to 25 students
JogNog for: Review and Assessment
Featured JogNog Games: 3rd Grade Adjectives
(Cost: $.99 each OR FREE using JogNog Class Code HV6HKAR)
- “Nog” template
- White lined paper
- Coloring tools
- Whiteboards and Expo markers (for game)
- Smartboard or projector connected to PC
Common Core Standards:
CCS.L.2.1e Use adjectives and adverbs, and choose between them depending on what is to be modified.
CCS.L.3.1a Explain the function of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs in general and their functions in particular sentences.
- be able to define “adjective” and understand its function as a part of speech
- correctly use 5 adjectives in a descriptive paragraph
- design a “nog” with 5 distinct physical characteristics
- score 80% or better on 2 levels of JogNog Adjectives game
- Students design their nogs, giving them distinct physical characteristics including facial features, clothing and accessories (previous night’s homework)
- Students write a 3-5 sentence paragraph on white-lined paper describing the characteristics of their nogs using descriptive adjectives. (My nog is wearing a fluffy pink hat.) Students highlight or underline 5 adjectives in their paragraphs (previous night’s homework)
- Students pin their designed nogs to the bulletin board and take turns reading their 5 adjectives. Classmates must guess which nog is theirs based upon the descriptiveness of their adjectives. (25 minutes)
- To play JogNog, go to JogNog.com and click on the “Class” tab. Enter the code mentioned above to join a class and play for FREE.
- Project JogNog game “Adjectives” or “Adjectives and Adverbs” up on the Smartboard
- Play each level of the game, reading questions and answers aloud for students. (25 minutes)
- Do a slate assessment—have students record their answers (1, 2, 3, 4) on a whiteboard and tally incorrect answers of students (using a class list) for scoring purposes
Assessment of Learning
- Collect paragraphs for assessment
- JogNog game with slate assessment
Questions? Comments? Feedback?