view a plan
Creating a class birthday quilt from old cards brings the class together, teaches patterns, and how to tie
PreK, K, 2, 1
Title – Birthday Card Quilt
By – Justin Hylton
Primary Subject – Other – Classroom Idea
Secondary Subjects – Art, Math
Grade Level – P-2
Purpose: To make a quilt using old birthday cards
- Old birthday cards no less then 12
- Yarn any colors
- Hole puncher
- First, have the children bring in old birthday cards.
- Have the children write their names and birthday on the cards they brought.
- You need to cut each one to the same size.
- Then you punch holes around the sides.
- Cut yarn in strips of 8 inches.
- Let the children attach each card they brought together by using the yarn.
- You should have some cards you brought too.
- Then have them all get in a group and you and attach each of your sections together
- Your finished creation is a big class birthday quilt.
This quilt project groups the class together as a whole like a family. It also hopes teach them to tie and helps them with patterns.
- Did the class work together as a group?
- Did they learn how to tie?
- Did they learn about patterns?
E-Mail Justin Hylton !