view a plan
This life skills lesson teaches basic auto maintenance
8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Title – Auto Mechanics Preparation
By – Kathleen Wild
Primary Subject – Other
Grade Level – 8-12
- Type up a numbered chart for your student(s):
|1. Checking the oil in your car or truck|
|2. Check the transmission fluid|
|3. Check the brake fluid|
|4. Check the radiator fluid|
|5. Check the air filter|
|6. Check the tire pressure in the tires.|
- After each statement you should place a line and the student can fill in “yes, the oil was low” and what he added like a quart or a half-quart, etc. Have the student write “full,” if no fluid is needed. Also have the student write the tire pressure on the paper and whether or not the tires needed more air to be placed in them.
- The Teacher or the Home-School Parent should demonstrate all of the above to teach the student the basics. This way the student will be prepared if some one needs help. I also went on to teach my student to change the flat tire and put the spare on.
- Transmission fluid
- Brake fluid
- Anti-freeze or water for the overflow or the radiator itself
- Paper towels
- Tire gage reader to measure the pounds in the tires
- Jack if the student is changing the tire and the bolt remover tool to loosen the bolts on the tire
- Wash cloth with Dawn Dish Detergent on it or some other type of a degreaser cloth to wipe off the oil or fluids on their hands
- The Basics of Auto Mechanics chart above.
- This is a great hands-on project. It is also great for the student to learn the basics for themselves, as well as to help someone else who may need help.
E-Mail Kathleen Wild !