view a plan
Students demonstrate the importance of ergonomics in the workplace by creating a digital photo story here
Computers & Internet
8, 9, 10, 11, 12
By – Candy Baez
Primary Subject - Computers / Internet
Secondary Subjects –
Grade Level – 8-12
Concept / Topic To Teach:
- The student will demonstrate knowledge on the importance of ergonomics in the workplace by creating a digital story utilizing Photo Story 3.
Standards Addressed: (TEKS)
- 1.F: Identify and demonstrate ways to improve communication in organizations
- 1.G: Develop and exhibit assertive, non-aggressive communication style
- 6.C: Identify and demonstrate skills needed to maintain effective work relations
- with colleagues
- 6.D: Demonstrate a respect for individual differences
- 6.E: Apply tact in handling criticism, disagreement, or disappointment
- 7.A: Follow oral and written instructions
- 9.A: Input data using the touch system
- 14.C: Exhibit productive work habits and attitudes
- 15.E : Communicate effectively via oral, written, and electronic channels
- Students will become familiar with the use of current technological trends and how they can be used to generate and disseminate information to others in a creative way.
- Develop an understanding of how ergonomics plays a big role in the efficiency of an employee.
- Photo Story 3
- Internet Access
- Headset with Microphone
- Digital Camera
- Scanner (if necessary)
- An in class discussion will take place asking students for their understanding of what ergonomics is. They will be asked to give examples of what is considered to be a part of ergonomics to provide other students a better insight of the concept. They will provide examples of how this affects the workplace and specify the importance of implementing proper ergonomics.
- Teacher will have an in class discussion with students to assure understanding of ergonomics.
- Teacher will demonstrate how to use Photo Story 3.
- Students will conduct an in-depth research via the internet on ergonomics.
- Students will create a storyboard on a sheet of paper to assist students in organizing ideas and submit to teacher.
- Students will then create storyboard on Photo Story 3.
- Students will present digital story to the rest of their classmates.
Plan For Independent Practice:
- Students will present their digital story to teacher and classmates to promote their understanding of ergonomics in the workplace.
- Classmates will evaluate each other’s digital story in order to provide constructive criticism and assist students with accepting criticism.
- An in-class discussion will follow presentations to summarize lesson.
Assessment Based On Objectives:
- Students will be provided with the rubrics the teacher will utilize for grading purposes.
- A classroom discussion will follow presentations in order to establish there was an understanding of the importance of ergonomics in the workplace.
- Students requiring adaptations will be provided with pictures and music to use in Photo Story 3 by teacher (he/she will install in student’s computer for easy access).
- Handout with specific steps (with images) will be provided to help guide student through the implementation of Photo Story 3.
- If required, teacher-to-student instructions will be provided.
- Gifted students will add to their digital story how ergonomics not only affects the workplace, but everyday life (at school and at home).
Possible Connections To Other Subjects:
- This lesson may be connected to just about any subject as ergonomics affects every individual in their everyday life.
- Something as simple as being in a comfortable setting in class will assist student’s performance.
- This assignment can also assist students in idea organization for an English class when they are required to perform the brainstorming part of their papers.
E-Mail Candy Baez !