view a plan
This lesson on grief counseling helps students who have experienced a loss understand feelings, anticipate emotional stages and seek support
9, 12, 11, 10
Title – Grief Counseling
By – Denise Humphries
Primary Subject – Other
Grade Level – 9-12
Concept/Topic to Teach:
- Stages of Grief
- Understanding and Expressing Grief
- Exploring Support
- To help students who have experienced a loss in their life to better understand feelings, anticipate possible emotions and seek support for themselves.
- To share with one another losses experienced.
- Gain an understanding of the stages of grief.
- Explore support systems and groups.
- Poster board for sharing feelings and types of loss
- Kubler-Ross Stages of Grief
- Community resources for support
- Begin lesson by brainstorming different types of loss and emotions experienced.
- Brainstorm (list on poster board) different types of losses and emotions
- Explain and discuss Kubler-Ross Stages of Grief
Kubler-Ross Stages of Grief
- Write a journal of how the student views themselves during each of these stages
- Discuss possible support systems in the community (option – bring a representative in to present)
- Write a journal of which support options best suit the student or issues they may perceive with certain types of support.
Plan for independent practice:
- Plan a group to meet after school one day a week and participate in active grief counseling.
- Offer referrals to specific community agencies and programs that assist activities focused on grief counseling.
- Allow time for feedback from students regarding where they see themselves in the stages of grief and discuss.
- Discuss hope and future plan in healing from their loss.
Assessment Based on Objectives:
- Students may complete a brief evaluation from the lesson.
- Journals may also be assessed to fulfill objectives and goals (with permission from students).
- Open discussion
- Large print on poster board
- Small group settings
- No time restraints
- Research on other stages of grief.
- Prepare a comparison of Kubler-Ross Stages of Grief with other’s interpretations.
Possible Connection To Other Subjects:
- Other related counseling issues (variety of physical, emotional and mental symptoms stemming from losses).
E-Mail Denise Humphries !