view a plan
This is an outline for an integrated Medical Careers Unit
Math, Social Studies, Language Arts
9, 11, 12, 10
Integrated Academic Unit
By – Laura Civitano
Primary Subject – Language Arts, Social Science, Math
Secondary Subjects –
Grade Level – 9-12
Total number of sessions:
- First Marking Period – 8 weeks
- 45 minutes per day
Goal/purpose/objectives of session:
- Students will be able to:
- Describe personal characteristics of a health care worker from a perspective of a consumer
- Review health careers within the therapeutic, diagnostic, informational, and environmental systems
- Identify the technology utilized in each of the four systems
- Identify the collaborative role of team members between the systems to deliver quality health care
- Utilize keyboarding skills to access, process, and retrieve information
- Organize, write, and compile ideas into reports, summaries, and student portfolios
- Enhanced study habits using flash cards and collaborative study groups
- 4.4 Career Decision-making
- 4.41 Key Employability Skills
- 4.42 Consider levels of education, credentialing requirements, employment opportunities, workplace environment, and career growth for a service area.
Product(s) student work:
- Research paper
- Oral presentation
- Portfolio development
Teacher collaboration suggestions:
- English teacher will guide students on how to write a research paper using various methods and media skills.
- Social Studies teacher will introduce the topic and offer a suggested list of historical medical visionaries.
- Math teacher will introduce graphing and charts to later compare various careers.
- The Library/Media Specialist will introduce research resources and skills.
- The Inclusion Teacher will assist English, SS, Math, and Media.
- Technology web-searching
- Listening skills
- Note taking
- Organizational skills
- Writing processes
- Basic reading comprehension
- Oral communication skills
- Ice Breaker Activities to establish peer relationships
- Discuss importance of education in comparison with careers
- Begin developing portfolio-CDOS folders
- Identify interests and abilities of students
- Career exploration using technology
- Discuss various career opportunities
- Identify key terms
- Discuss career categories
- Discuss Health care trends
- Career Related Activities:
- o Word search puzzle
- o Career matching quizzes
- o Problem solving/scenario activities
- o Critical thinking activity
- o Career exploration activities
- Distributed Worksheets
- Class work
- Continue to research health careers of your interest
- Based on student interest, encourage students to research their careers using the internet, library, and/or magazines during class.
- Continuously acknowledge successful work
- Incorporate cooperative learning for common career interests.
Techniques for differentiating instruction:
- Use of Technology
- Self produced worksheets
- A. C. Green’s Game Plan Guide – Scott Phelps and Libby Gray
- Mosby’s Lifeline’s Health Careers Video Series
- H.O.P.E. CD-ROM
- The Job Club – Distributed by Yonkers Public Schools
- Parke Davis Prints
E-Mail Laura Civitano !