view a plan
Valentine’s Day Lesson Ideas
Social Studies, Art
Title – Valentine’s Day, Lesson Ideas
By – Jacquie DeFreze
Primary Subject – Art
Secondary Subjects – Social Studies
Grade Level – 2-3
- Class list
- Have each child draw a name out of a basket.
- Each child is to decorate a large heart with the child’s name written in black.
I start this activity in January so that it is done for Feb. 1.
- After they decorate the large heart, they hand them in.
- Every AM for 20 days (# of days depends on class size) the children come in and have a heart on their desk.
- They have to write one positive things about the name on the heart. They cannot repeat a comment. It does get difficult but if they really think about the person they can come up with something.
- When all the hearts have 19 comments, they make a great bulletin board for all to read and feel great about!
Another option: Have the kids do it themselves for their Valentine’s.
- Large map of the US.
- Many red/white and pink hearts
- Research all the different cities in the US that have a name that has something to do with Valentine’s Day.
- Have the children write the city on the heart and then place it on the map.
Great activity for your gifted or for when work is complete.
E-Mail Jacquie DeFreze!