view a plan
This basketball handling skills lesson develops strength, hand/eye coordination and control
P.E. & Health
6, 7, 8
By – Jody Rickert
Primary Subject – Health / Physical Education
Grade Level – 6-8
Concept / Topic To Teach:
- Ball handling
7th Grade Standards Addressed:
- Following this lesson, students will be able to:
|7.03||identify characteristics of a skilled performance in a few movement forms.|
|8.02||regulate physical activity behavior by using personal cues and movement principles.|
|10.05||seek out, participate with and show respect for peers with varying skill abilities.|
- Ball control/coordination
- Ball handling skills are the building blocks to specific basketball skills. After completing this lesson, students will develop strength, have better hand/eye coordination, and be able to maintain control of the basketball.
- Gym or court surface
- 1 Basketball (modified or regulation) per student
Anticipatory Set (Lead-In):
- General warm up routine to get students ready for class which includes:
- 2-minute warm-up jog, stretch routine, jumping jacks, push-ups, and sit-ups.
- Pops: slap at the ball to keep it bouncing low to the ground, alternating hands.
- Use full hand to slap ball.
- Keep ball under control.
- Keep ball bouncing.
- Body Circles: circle the ball around various parts of your body, passing from hand to hand as you go. Start at your head and go to your chest, waist, knees, and ankle levels.
- Keep your head up.
- Keep your body still.
- Keep the ball under control.
- Figure Eights: move the ball from hand to hand through the legs in a figure-eight motion.
- Feet should be shoulder-width apart.
- Keep the ball close to your legs.
- Keep two hands on the ball when it is going through your legs.
- Keep one hand on the ball when it is going around your legs.
Plan for Independent Practice:
- Allow students to practice each skill with a partner or group. Have gifted students help those who are struggling with each skill.
Closure (Reflect Anticipatory Set):
- Review days’ activities. Discuss the importance of ball handling skills in game situations. Preview the next days’ activities.
Extensions (For Gifted Students):
- Have gifted students help other students who are having difficulty completing the skill or have these students create a routine using all three skills.
E-Mail Jody Rickert !