view a plan
Homemade toothpaste makes this dental hygiene lesson hands-on
P.E. & Health
Title – Dental Hygiene: Homemade Toothpaste
By – Lisa Beattie
Primary Subject – Health / Physical Education
Grade Level – K-1
Lesson: Importance of dental hygiene
Standard: 2.1 – All students will learn health promotion and disease prevention concepts and health enhancing behaviors.
Indicator: Describe a healthy child and identify factors that contribute to good health.
Objective: At the end of this lesson students will know the importance of brushing their teeth, how to properly brush their teeth, and become involved, excited, and motivated to brush their teeth.
- Baking soda (4 teaspoons per student)
- Salt (1 teaspoon per student)
- Flavoring – vanilla, peppermint, or almond extract (1 teaspoon per student)
- Air tight container for each student (ask to bring own one from home)
- Plastic stirrers
- Measuring spoons
- Fun toothbrushes (one per student)
- Paper/tape/scissors (or blank labels)
- Markers, crayons, colored pencils
- why we brush our teeth
- when we should brush our teeth
- proper techniques for brushing teeth
- how long – suggest finding a song they like that is about 2 minutes long or learn what part of a song plays after 2 minutes. When they brush their teeth they can start playing the song and when the 2 minute-mark is reached, they are done
- 1. At beginning of class or during previous class go over dental hygiene
2. Each student mixes 4 teaspoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of desired extract (teachers help measure and distribute ingredients)
- 3. On a piece of paper or label, ask students to write down what they learned about brushing teeth (why, when, etc.). They can then color or make designs on the paper/label. Use this as an assessment for evaluating what the students learned about dental hygiene.
- 4. Have students peel and stick labels to their containers or help them cut paper to the appropriate size and tape it to their container.
- 5. At the end of the lesson, students get to pick out a new toothbrush.
Connections: Art – designing the labels
E-Mail Lisa Beattie !