view a plan
Here are eleven illustrated gymnastics skills
P.E. & Health
3, 2, 1
Title – Gymnastics Skills
By – Mohammed Asim Ghazi
Primary Subject – Health / Physical Education
Grade Level – 1-3
- gymnastic mat
- To learn the following gymnastic skills:
- hand spring
- vaulting horse
- forward roll
- backward roll
- hand stand
- head stand
- lunge position
- jump ball
- To recognize the technical steps of these gymnastics skills.
- To keep the students interested
- Run two laps around the court with arms forward.
- Arm stretching exercises
- Legs stretching exercises
- Abdomen stretching exercises
- To reinforce gymnastics skills
Cues: Forward roll technical steps:
- Stand up and stretch your arms forward
- Sit on all fours (squatting) and face forward
- Bend your head down
- Roll around onto your back
- Finish it on your bottom with your arms around your knees.
- Stretch your legs forward and stretch your arms forwarding the air.
- Go back to position in steps (1)
Hand spring technical steps:
- Take a couple running steps.
- You should use a mat, so if you fall, it won’t hurt as bad as on the floor.
- Before you hurdle (a skip step), throw your hands up and keep your arms straight. Bent arms will get you on your head.
- With your head between your arms, put them on the ground, and keep your hips and shoulders open. You should be taking off with one leg, but let the back follow up, like you would a handstand.
- Push through your fingers and spring off the ground. It should feel like you’re going into a handstand, except rotating.
- Push with your arms.
Vaulting horse technical steps:
- Run down vault runway with fast, even steps using bent arms in opposition
- Hurdle onto springboard with biggest arm circle possible.
- Hunch springboard as hard as possible, pushing through feet and legs to rebound with a straight body
- Reach up to place hands on horse, keeping arms above head and drive feet and legs up and over horse.
- When feet are directly above hands in handstand position, shoulders extend to block body up and out in post flight.
- Gymnast remains tight in layout position with arms overhead until feet touch the floor.
- Gymnast bends knees until heels touch and then stretch up to salute
Hand stand technical steps:
- Take a wide stance.
- Reach out your hands, at least one foot past your toes; don’t try to keep your hands to close to your feet as this will make the handstand much more difficult.
- Pick a foot that you are going to kick up off of.
- As you put you’re hands down, lift up the foot that you are not planning to kick off of.
- Kick up hard off of the foot that is still on the ground.
- Once you are vertical, squeeze your feet and legs together and tighten your abs.
- When you are ready, step back down, keeping your arms by your ears, and finish.
Head stand technical steps:
- Start on your hands and knees, then put your head on the ground.
- Put your right knee (or left, if you’re left footed/handed) on your right arm, near your elbow.
- Push off your toe and straighten your left leg to move your weight forward, then put it in the same position on your left arm as your right is on your right arm.
- Balance yourself. Don’t worry if you don’t get it the first time, as this is the most difficult part.
- Straighten legs when you feel balanced, but do this slowly.
Cartwheel technical steps:
- Make sure you have plenty of room.
- Decide what kind of cartwheel you are going to do.
- Extend your arms straight above your head.
- Point one foot in the direction you will be going.
- Look down at where you are going to place your hands.
- Reach with the same hand as your pointed foot.
- Kick powerfully so your legs come off the ground
- Look at your hands
- Land on the opposite foot.
- Straighten out. You are done! Then smile and show it off to your friends
Balance technical steps:
- Divide the students into to groups.
- Put a bench in front of each group and let the students stand up on the bench with arms straight aside
- Students have the circles in their hand as they walk the bench.
Jump ball technical steps:
- Fixing a bench on the ground – running and jumping from it.
Lunge position technical steps:
- A starting or landing position where the front leg is bent and the back leg kept straight.
Leap technical steps:
- Bend knees.
- Take off on one foot and land on the other.
- Perform exercises to relax the body.
- This bulletin board illustrates the idea of gymnastics skills which consists of hand spring, vaulting horse, forward roll, cartwheel, backward roll, hand stand, head stand, balance, leap, lunge position and jump ball.
E-Mail Mohammed Asim Ghazi !