view a plan
“Fitness for Life” reviews the food pyramid and servings chart
P.E. & Health
Title – Food For Fitness
By – Deja Brown
Primary Subject – PE & Health
Grade Level – 2nd
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Health Standards:
- 2.1 The student understands that personal health decisions and behaviors affect health throughout the life span.
- C identify food groups and describe the effects of eating too much sugar and fat.
- D identify healthy and unhealthy food such as breakfast and snacks and fast food choices.
- G describe how a healthy diet can help protect the body against some disease.
- The student will be able to recite how many servings in each food group after going over food group chart.
- The student will be able to perform proper cleaning habits before eating food after review at beginning of lesson.
- The student will be able to complete Food for Fitness worksheet after given instructions.
List of Materials:
- Food Pyramid
- Servings Chart
- Butcher Paper
- Make a Food Pyramid and a Servings Chart
- Create and make copies of a Food for Fitness worksheet.
- Everyone stays seated in desks.
- Call students to board when needed.
Establishing Set/Motivation /Introduction:
- Review: What is a food pyramid?
- Discuss: Their favorite foods and how they affect your body.
- Food Pyramid Review:
- Set up food pyramid on board.
- Ask questions: Can anyone tell me what this is?
- Grains section:
- Explain how many servings and what foods are in this food group.
- Vegetables food group:
- Explain importance of vegetables.
- Explain how many servings are needed each day of vegetables.
- Fruit food group:
- Question: is drinking a Capri Sun a good source for a fruit serving?
- It has fruit on the carton, so why not?
- Dairy section:
- Explain how many servings we need each day.
- Question: Does the dairy group only have milk in it?
- What other food are found in the dairy group?
- Meat section:
- Explain different foods that are in this section such as peanut butter and eggs.
- Question: how many servings of this do we need each day?
- Fats & oils:
- Name different foods that are in this section.
- Explain how they affect your body.
- Put up Servings Chart on white board.
- Go over each section.
- Answer the question: how many servings? What to eat?
- Pass out worksheets.
- Give instructions several times.
- Go around and help students where it is needed.
- Food for Fitness Worksheet.
- If you order a spinach pizza at CiCi’s, are you still getting a serving of vegetables?
E-Mail Deja Brown !