view a plan
Handball Skills through Soccer & Basketball Exercises
P.E. & Health
4, 5, 6, 7, 8
By – C. Contrafatto
At the end of the lesson the students will be able to demonstrate the basic skills of handball such as dribbling, passing and shooting by participating in activities that involve these skills and will be evaluated with a quick discussion at the end.
Activities and Procedure:
- 25 jumping jacks
- 10 crunches
- 5 push-ups
- Instant activity: Knee Tag—Everyone gets a partner and faces them. The objective is to tag the partner’s knees 3 times with the hands. Once tagged 3 times, switch partners with another pair that have also been tagged 3 times. Watch your heads: make sure they are upright when going for the knees.
- Have the students sit facing you
- Learning the fundamentals of the game Handball.
- Handball consists of many movements and skills from other sports such as basketball and soccer.
- Friday is when they will put together the skills and play handball so they need to practice certain skills for the game to run smoothly.
- Today they will practice passes in both soccer and basketball with transformation passes as well.
First Activity—Passing (Basketball):
Set up: Pairs of cones creating 2 parallel lines 10 feet away.
Explain the pass, and then have 1 pair of students demonstrate.
Go through a couple of passes before moving on:
- Chest pass
- Bounce pass
- Baseball pass/ Overhead pass
*Explain the soccer pass & trapping then have 1 pair demonstrate
Second Activity—Passing (Soccer):
Set up: The same
- Pass with trapping
- Pass with 1 tap (no trapping)
- Pass with opposite foot
- Pass with 1 tap (no trapping) opposite foot
*Explain transformations then demonstrate one at a time
Third Activity—Transformation (Soccer to Basketball):
Set up: The cones are the same
Partners start at one cone
One partner goes first:
- Dribbles to and around cone
- On the way back (halfway try one transformation)
- Once transformed, pass to partner (basketball style)
- Next partner goes
- Partner pass (Scoop and Flick-up)
- Self pass (Sandwich- Jump- Catch- Pass)
Fourth Activity– Keep Away:
Set-up: Groups of 4; 1 person in the middle, the other 3 people form a ring
- Ball must remain moving by being passed
- Ball must be transformed in order for the hands to touch
- Gain possession of the ball by intercepting a pass
- Cannot slap ball out of hands
- May steal ball by feet
(Switch after about 30 seconds- 1 minute in the center)
Collect balls and cones
- How many prefer the basketball style? Soccer style?
- Was the passing easier?
- Which transformation is easier?
On Friday, utilize these skills in the fast paced game, Handball. Have a quick review, go over the rules, and then begin the game. Thank the students for their enthusiasm and tell them you look forward to seeing all of them on Friday!
E-Mail C. Contrafatto !