view a plan
Here is the correct way to pass a football
P.E. & Health
Title – Passing
By – Chris Ward
Primary Subject – Health / Physical Education
Grade Level – 7th
# of Students – 27
Activity (Unit): Football
National Standards: 2,5,6
NJ Core Curriculum Standard: 2.5 Motor Skill Development
I. Performance Objectives (Affective is the primary objective)
- A. Affective – At the end the lesson on passing, the students may indicate they feel better about their passing skills through writing a brief summary and given to the teacher.
- B. Cognitive – At the end the lesson on passing, the students should be able to indicate the correct way to pass a football by answering questions on a quiz with a score of 70% or better.
II. Materials and Equipment
- A. Lesson Plan
- B. 27 footballs
III. Procedures (classes 42 minutes)
- A. Dress (a,b,c=M&I;=10)
- B. Attendance
- C. Warm-Ups – one lap around track/stretches in circle
- D. New Skill
- 1. Catching
- 2. Describe/Demo
- a. Pinkies together if ball below waist, thumbs if above waist
- b. Give with ball as it hits hands (bring ball into body)
- c. Keep eye on ball
- a. Partners – five yards apart. One person has back to the thrower.
- As student with ball throws they yell “Ball” other person turns.
- Make five throws and switch (squads 1&2)
- b. Line up on fifty-yard line and throw ball as far as you can. (3&4)
- c. Squads one and two will switch after each student goes 2x.
- E. New Skill (A=27)
- 1. Passing
- 2. Describe/Demo
- a. Grip – dominant hand-fingers spread out on laces. Other hand on ball
- for protection.
- b. Ball above shoulder to side of head
- c. Stand with side to target
- d. Step with opposite foot
- e. Elbow forward, extend arm, snap wrist, follow through.
- a. Partners – start five yards apart throw and catch 3x then one person take three back and repeat. Continue until my whistle.
- b. Partners stand five yards apart. How many correct passes in 30secs.
- c. Partners take turns moving while passing to a stationary partner.
- d. Partners take turns passing to a moving target.
- F. Game (will include all new skills)
- 1. Hot Potato Drill -
- squads one and two form circle, squads 3&4 same. Four balls in each circle. When you throw to someone you must call out their name. Circle gets a point for catch. Then teams will go again but this time they will lose a point for every drop.
- G. Closure (M&I;=5)
- 1. Reinforce cues through Q&A;
- 2. Preview next class
- 3. Put equipment away and dress
E-Mail Chris Ward !