view a plan
In this team-building game, squad members use cooperation skills to island hop their way to Treasure Island
P.E. & Health
6, 5, 4, 3
By – Kyle Hoffman
Primary Subject – Health / Physical Education
Grade Level – 3-6
- Students work together to accomplish a common goal (reaching the final island as many times as possible).
Materials for Five Teams:
- 5 jump ropes
- 5 scooters
- 5 medium/large cones
- 10 step platforms (step aerobic equipment)
- 5 hula hoops
- 20 Poly Spots
- 5 small comes
- plastic gold coins (optional)
Explanation/Description of Activity:
- Start – jump rope on Poly Spot
- Island 1 – scooter
- Island 2 – medium/large cone on step platform
- Island 3 – hula hoop around a step platform with 3 Poly Spots on it
- Island 4 (Treasure Island) – small cone
- Each team should have their own set-up.
- Object of the Game:
- The team members will move from island to island without touching the gym floor. Once an entire squad has reached the fourth island (Treasure Island), they go back to the beginning and start again. If any member of a team steps on the gym floor, the entire team must begin again. The jump rope is the only piece of equipment that may pass the first station.
- The first island must be about 2-3 feet away from start so that students can use the jump rope to “reel” in the scooter.
- Students will use the scooter to get to Island 2 where they will hop on the cone to Island 3 .
- At Island 3 , two squad members must be in the hula hoop at the same time and use the Poly Spots as stepping stones to get to “Treasure Island”.
- Island 4 – “Treasure Island is marked by a small cone. Squads are awarded a point each time the entire squad has reached Treasure Island.
- You can use other materials (coins, beads) as treasure collected, rather than points.
- Students complete a questionnaire about their own and their squad’s cooperation skills.
E-Mail Kyle Hoffman !