view a plan
Students learn and practice overhead handball passing skills in this lesson
P.E. & Health
3, 4, 5
By – Mohammed Asim Ghazi
Primary Subject – Health / Physical Education
Grade Level – 3-5
Concept/Skills Being Taught:
- Passing the Ball
- Knowledge of Passing Skills
- – Overhead pass with one hand
- – Overhead pass with both hands
- Rules of Handball
- Warm up:
- Students run around the court two times
- General Exercise:
- Stand up – arms forward – complete bending knee exercise
- Sitting – arms behind head – forward walk exercise
- Technical steps:
- The student starts by standing perpendicular to their target with their body facing right if they are right-handed and vice-versa.
- The student’s left foot points to the target, with their weight on the right foot if right-handed (reverse directions if left-handed).
- The student steps towards the target as they throw with the foot that is on the same side as the arm that will pass the ball.
- The student steps forward towards the target as they throw the ball; the shoulder and hips will rotate while throwing.
- Set the ball at waist level before passing the ball.
- The student moves towards the arm that will pass the ball.
- Right-handed throwers stand on the left foot and vice-versa.
- Set the ball at the waist level before passing.