view a plan
P.E. & Health
Title – Personal Hygiene
By – Robin Sumner
Primary Subject – Health / Physical Education
Grade Level – 3
- Third grade students are going through many changes developmentally. This lesson discusses personal hygiene and helps them to understand that they are responsible for taking care of their own bodies.
- Students will recognize the importance of personal hygiene and grooming
- Students will use problem-solving skills to make healthy choices
- NC Standard Course of Study – Guidance Curriculum Competencies:
- 009.03 – Use problem-solving and decision-making skills to make safe and healthy choices
- Slip of paper for each student
- Whiteboard and marker
- Give each student a slip of paper. Ask students to write his/her favorite actor/actress. It can be anyone from TV or movies, but they must be a “real” person (no cartoon characters). Collect the papers and read the choices aloud. Tell the students that one thing these people have in common is that they are attractive people (I have not had anyone disagree with me). Ask students if an attractive appearance simply “happens” or whether they have to work at it.
- Ask students what personal hygiene is. List the examples they give on the board. List should include: shower/bath, clean clothes, brush teeth, deodorant, etc.
- Go back over the list one-by-one. Let students problem-solve how each should be done.
- End by telling students that some parents will remind you to do these things everyday from now until you are 18, others won’t. Remind the students that they are old enough to take care of these things themselves.