view a plan
Outline for an Integrated First-Aid Unit
P.E. & Health
9, 12, 11, 10
Title – Outline for an Integrated Academic Unit – Medical Innovations – First-Aid
By – Laura Civitano
Primary Subject – Health / Physical Education
Secondary Subjects –
Grade Level – 9-12
Total number of sessions:
Third marking period – 8 weeks
45 minutes per day
Goal/purpose/objectives of session:
Students will be able to:
- Recognize hazardous conditions in the home, school, work place, and community
- Develop and propose solutions to eliminate or reduce various hazards
- Implement a plan to improve safety in the home, school, workplace or community
- Use universal precautions and apply first aid, and other emergency procedures appropriately
- Describe and demonstrate appropriate strategies to avoid or cope with potentially dangerous situations
- Develop community approaches which enhance and protect the quality of the environment
- Analyze how health laws, policies and regulations protect personal and environmental safety
- Demonstrate ways to care for and show respect for self and others
- Evaluate personal and social skills which contribute to health and safety of self and others
- Recognize how individual behavior affects the quality of the environment.
- Identify the collaborative role of team members between the systems to deliver quality health care
- Utilize keyboarding skills to access, process, and retrieve information
- Organize, write, and compile ideas into reports, summaries
- Update student portfolios
- * Achieve First Aid Certification-good for three years *
- Students will demonstrate personally and socially responsible behaviors. They will care for and respect themselves and others. They will recognize threats to the environment and offer appropriate strategies to minimize them.
- A Safe and Healthy Environment:
Students will acquire the knowledge and ability necessary to create and maintain a safe and healthy environment.
- Resource Management:
Students will understand and be able to manage their personal and community resources.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of communication methods for accurately expressing health information and ideas.
- Express information and opinions about health issues.
- Utilize strategies to overcome barriers when communicating information, ideas, feelings, and opinions about health issues.
- Demonstrate the ability to influence and support others in making positive health choices.
- Demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively when advocating for healthy communities.
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt health messages and communication techniques to the characteristics of a particular audience.
Product(s) student work:
- Posters to be displayed within the school
- “How To” skill sheets to be distributed within school
- Portfolio development
Teacher collaboration suggestions:
- Social Studies teacher will introduce and offer a suggested list of historical medical innovations/innovators based on readings distributed by the medical teacher.
- English teacher will assist students how to write paragraphs and reports about Medical Innovations and/or Innovators.
- Math teacher will use graphing and charts to compare accidents, injuries, diseases discussed in Medical class.
- The Library/Media Specialist will introduce research resources and skills.
- The Inclusion Teacher will assist English, SS, Math, and Media.
- Refer to previous first aid skills for students who have taken related courses
- Oral communication skills
- Technology web-searching
- Listening skills
- Writing processes
- Basic reading comprehension
- Readings: The beginnings of First Aid, etc.
- Identify and describe modern first aid kit materials
- Create a First Aid Kit from scratch
- Students will learn and demonstrate various first aid techniques
- Compare old and new styles of bandaging and caring techniques
- Create posters and packets for display and distribution within the school
- Defining important key terms and vocabulary
- Discuss various career opportunities that utilize basic first aid skills
- Discuss Health care trends
- Other Related Activities:
- Word search puzzle
- Problem solving/scenario activities
- Critical thinking activities
- Distributed Worksheets
First aid materials:
- adhesive strips
- antiseptic ointment
- gauze pads
- cold packs
- heat packs
- syrup of ipecac
- activated charcoal
- disposable gloves
- plastic bag
- road flares
- one way valve resuscitation mask (pocket mask)
- medical tape (waterproof/regular)
- roller gauze
- elastic bandages (ace bandage)
- triangular bandage (cravat)