view a plan
10 Earth Day Classroom Activities
8, 7, 6, 5, 4
Title – 10 Things To Do On Earth Day With Kids In The Classroom
By – Judith Gorgone, founder of Planetpals.com
Primary Subject – Science
Grade Level – 4-8
- Earth Day is quickly approaching and what better way to set an example than at school!
- Here are some simple proactive ideas to teach kids responsibility, enlighten them about their world and teach the 3 R’s (reduce, reuse, recycle).
10 Earth Day Classroom Activities:
- Plan a classroom SWAP. Have kids bring in items such as school supplies, backpacks, lunchboxes, or toys, etc. that they no longer need and swap them for something they do!
- Teach kids to love and nurture earth. Prepare earth science lessons on the growing cycle… talk about favorite vegetables and flowers. Start seedlings and plant a class garden. Follow up by watering and watching them grow.
- Have a schoolyard cleanup and beautification. Get local merchants or parents involved in donating materials.
- Create posters with environmental themes and post them around the school. Better yet, have an effect on the community, and ask local merchants to post them in the windows!
- Throw an EARTH DAY PARTY. Bake an Earth Day cake, cupcakes or cookies illustrated to look like an earth. Have them play earth-related games and read an eco-friendly themed book.
- Teach kids about packaging. Show them how to look for recycling symbols on products and read labels and use less packaging. Discuss the importance of being healthy inside and out. Discuss precycling concepts such as buying products responsibly.
- Put on an Earth Day play or puppet show. Invite other classrooms and/or parents. Use Earth Day music (such as the Planetpals Music CD). Have students make paper mache puppets and scenery from recycled materials (or use Planetpals Finger puppets)!
- Do a nature crafts project – make bag holders, dryer lint clay, paper mache or paper and Earth Day cards.
- Implement a school recycle program that will last all year long. Get the kids involved in the planning and research.
- Make a recycle bulletin board. Post photos of items that can be recycled, list ideas and list where items can be taken such as books to the library, bags to the grocery store and cards to St Judes.
- Plan a school yard sale. It’s a great way to practice the 3 R’s. Download Planetpals yard sale signs or make them from recycled materials.
- Make a classroom website or blog on an eco-friendly topic. Have each student or groups of students contribute articles and images… and work on it collectively through the end of the year.
- For additional ideas and handy Earth Day helpers, check out
- for recycle kits, free signs, recycle lessons, lesson plans and an eco-dictionary.