view a plan
Students input their butterfly life cycle research summary here with the help of a graphic organizer
Science, Computers & Internet
Title – Butterfly Cycle
By – Agnes Peeples
Primary Subject – Science
Secondary Subjects – Computers / Internet
Grade Level – 2-3
- Students will understand the life cycle of a butterfly.
- They will record research on the butterflies.
- (LO) 111.2
- Organization of living things
- Describe life cycles of familiar organisms
- Demonstrate proper care in the use of hardware, software, peripherals, and storage media.
Learning Resources and Materials:
- Inspiration program (optional for the teacher’s use)
- Graphic organizer
Development of Lesson:
- Students will be asked if they know where butterflies come from. Students will visit a specific site on the internet and research the life cycle of a butterfly.
- Students will show what they learned in their graphic organizers.
- Then they will write a short summary of the life cycle of a butterfly.
- Children’s Butterfly Site
- The Butterfly Site
- Students will be placed in groups of two for the internet research. A short discussion on what happens to a butterfly during its lifetime will be given. Students will visit one of two internet sites.
Students will each write in their graphic organizers the correct life cycle of a butterfly.
- Lastly the students will give a summary of the butterfly cycle in their own words plus type and save it on the computer.
- Jeff (fictional student) has slow motor skills. He will be given one-on-one instructions at his speed. In addition, he will have two days to finish the assignment.
- Checked on individual groups and assessed students by writing organization and group interaction.
- Students will be tested in two days on what they learned.
- 5% of the students wanted to skip ahead to the internet research.
- 95% of the students stayed involved
- Students worked well in pairs.
- Follow-up with a trip to the Science Museum next week.
E-Mail Agnes Peeples !