view a plan
In this on-line geology course, students post their volcano/earthquake/glacier reports for on-line peer evaluation
Computers & Internet, Science
Title – Geology Online Course
By – Susan Bernstein
Primary Subject – Science
Secondary Subject – Computers/Internet
Grade Level – 4-5
Objective: Students will learn about natural disasters i.e. volcanoes, earthquakes, glaciers, tsunamis, avalanches, etc.
- search engines i.e. google.com
Time: one – two weeks
- Students read the 4 assignments online. Working with their team (3-4 students each) they will conduct research and then post their findings online for peer and teacher assessment.
- Assignment #1
- a) Describe the Mount St. Helens volcanic eruption
- b) Describe the San Andreas fault and California’s biggest earthquakes
- c) Describe the “Ring of Fire” volcanoes
- d) Describe Alaska’s glaciers
- Assignment #2
- Decide whether we should send aid to disaster victims in other countries. How might money be raised and how might people be persuaded to contribute?
- Assignment #3
- Write a myth explaining the origin of a volcano, an earthquake, a tsunami, sand dunes, drought, or avalanche.
- Teacher and peers will respond, online, with comments and grade for each of the 3 assignments.
Note: My school district has a contract with B.O.C.E.S. so that each teacher in the district is able to access blackboard.nasboces.org – and they are the ones who host my online course – as well as my web site (where I post daily homework for parents and students to view).
If your school district does not have something similar, you can find out more about blackboard.com.
E-Mail Susan Bernstein !