view a plan
This lesson focuses on building hazardous waste awareness
Computers & Internet, Science
6, 7, 8
Title – Hazardous Waste Awareness
By – Jennifer Cvitak
Primary Subject – Science
Secondary Subjects – Computers
Grade Level – Middle school
1. Locate hazardous chemicals in the home
2. Describe the dangers posed by hazardous compounds in the home
3. Demonstrate a knowledge of safer alternative compounds to use.
2. KWL worksheets (3 column worksheet with the headings Know, Want to know, Learned)
4. Books about Hazardous Wastes
As a class we will:
1. Brainstorm what you know about the topic of household hazardous wastes and place information in column 1.
2. Brainstorm different questions you have about household hazardous wastes and place questions in column 2. (It is always good as a teacher to have a few questions thought up to guide the students)
On your own or in small groups:
1. Use the internet and texts to find answers to the questions that you have brainstormed.
2. Use the data obtained to develop an awareness poster of household hazardous wastes.
3. Be prepared to make a presentation to the class.
**This lesson allows students to be motivated because of the real life connection and to learn about the hazardous chemicals during physical science. It promotes creativity, technology, and cooperative learning in a structured form, yet still allows the student to take an active role in their education.
E-Mail Jennifer Cvitak !