view a plan
Google Maps and Google Earth are used here to study plate tectonics and the corresponding locations of earthquakes and volcanoes
6, 7, 8
Title – Google Earth & Plate Tectonics
By – Erik Hanchett
Primary Subject – Science
Grade Level – 6-8
Students will use Google Maps and Google Earth to map out the Earthâ€™s plate boundaries along with the locations of earthquakes and volcanoes and then identify the pattern.
- Students will use Google Maps and Google Earth to map out the locations of earthquakes, volcanoes and plate boundaries.
- Students will map these onto paper and then write a summary of the relationship between these landforms.
- Mid-ocean ridges and deep sea trenches can easily be seen through the satellite images of Google Earth. Students can map these out on a worksheet of a world map.
- Next, Google Earth has layers under various topics like earthquakes and volcanoes. These are highlighted and information can be accessed.
- Students can add volcanoes and earthquakes locations with symbols onto their maps.
- Once the maps are made, students can visualize the pattern between plate boundaries and the location of earthquakes and volcanoes.
- Student generated map and key.
E-Mail Erik Hanchett !