view a plan
Easter Egg Geodes
5, 6, 7, 8
Title – Easter Egg Geodes
By – Vivian Sullivan
Primary Subject – Science
Grade Level – 5-8
To learn how geodes in nature are formed from minerals and evaporation.
- Egg shell halves
- Egg cartons
- Boiling water
- Food coloring
- Boil water
- Dissolve ½ cup salt in every 1 cup of water
- Pour the saline solution into each half of egg
- Add 2 drops of any color food coloring
- Allow water to evaporate 2-3 days until only colored salt crystals are left
- You now have Easter egg geodes!
- The salt and the food coloring represents the minerals in the soil mixed with water found in nature (rain water, etc.).
- As the dissolved salt recrystallized it was mixed with food coloring to form the geode-like crystals found in nature!
E-Mail Vivian Sullivan !