view a plan
Developing Grouping and Classification Skills
Title – Putting things in groups
By – Debbie Haren
Primary Subject – Science
Secondary Subjects –
Grade Level – pre k and kindergarten
Give each student a group of objects commonly found in any classroom. For instance, small manipulatives such as dinosaurs, bears, and buttons. Have them look at all the items in front of them and then ask them to put them in different piles. For instance:
- Put all the green items you have in one pile for me please.
- Put all the dinosaurs in one pile for me please.
- Put all the animals in a pile for me please.
- Put all the items that are not animals in a pile for me.
- Put all the items that are round in a pile for me please.
- Put all the items that are blue in a pile for me please. and so on.
This will help them to be able to put things in groups and start developing their classification skills.
E-Mail Debbie Haren !