view a plan
This ESL recycling lesson integrates English vocabulary, science and environmental consciousness
Seasonal, Science, Language Arts
Title – Environmental ESL
By – Doroteia
Primary Subject – Science
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts
Grade Level – 2
Level: 6-8 year-old students
Length: 40 minutes
General Goal – The following activities are intended for teaching vocabulary, reinforcement and/or retention.
Specific Goal – This lesson aims to integrate English, science and citizenship (environment consciousness).
- Students are expected to:
- use the presented vocabulary spontaneously (speaking);
- understand the vocabulary and commands presented (listening);
- write and understand the vocabulary by playing the Bingo game (writing, reading and listening);
- be aware that they are able to help preserve the environment by adopting simple attitudes such as sorting their garbage.
Topic: The Environment
- blank Bingo cards made for this lesson
- colored paper to make four large bags look like they were garbage bins
- site http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-games-green.htm for the game Clean and Green
- recyclable objects provided by the teacher (such as a banana peel, an empty plastic ketchup bottle, a jelly glass jar the same objects seen on the site)
- scotch tape
- bingo handout
Students should already be acquainted with the basic environment-associated vocabulary. In previous lessons, students became acquainted with English and are evolving and progressing. As lessons come along, students come across the topic of the environment. In this specific sequence of lessons, students will learn about the environment (vocabulary, games, songs, attitudes, etc.) and the lesson content will be integrated into class activities and the Internet. The next lessons will follow up according to the course curriculum.
Description of Specific Goals and Procedures:
- Set the scene/establish rapport:
- The teacher shows students the recycling symbol (see image below) and asks students if they understand what it means.
- Students respond.
- The teacher checks whether students understand the symbol or not so that she is able to go on with the next steps.
- Vocabulary and pronunciation teaching:
- The teacher asks students to look around the classroom and check what is wrong.
- The teacher says, “What a mess!” and makes a thumbs-down gesture.
- The teacher introduces new words through the use of realia (objects spread all around the classroom).
- Students participate by repeating and asking.
- Teacher asks students at random to repeat some more times.
- Teacher checks pronunciation and understanding through oral questions.
- Teach more vocabulary (paper, plastic, metal, glass and compost), pronunciation and rules:
- Teacher provides students with rules on how to pick up the objects on the floor and put them in the correct garbage bin.
- Students match the objects to the kind of bin.
- Teacher monitors and checks.
- More reinforcement and retention exercises with a computer game.
- Teacher teaches students how to play the game Clean and Green on the computer (this website page should be open in advance on the following address http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-games-green.htm )
- Students may play the game in pairs or individually.
- Teacher monitors and checks.
- Teacher hands out a squared sheet of paper (blank Bingo card) so that students can write the new words at random and play the bingo game.
- Students copy the words from the blackboard or the computer screen (writing).
- Teacher calls for a volunteer to read the words aloud (oral production) while the others listen and check on their sheets (listening).
- The teacher gives students feedback after assessing their comprehension, problems and achievements,
- This class should be presented in English.
- The Internet is not 100% reliable. Therefore, the teacher should prepare an extra activity in case the Internet does not work at the moment students need to use it.
- Recyclable Symbol:
- Squared Bingo card for students to fill in with words they have learned & then play BINGO!
E-Mail Doroteia !