view a plan
Here is a science and math lesson on volume (uses pumpkins)
Lesson Plan Subject: Science
Lesson Plan Title: Jack-o-liters (science lesson on metric volume)
Purpose: To construct a jack-o-liter
Materials: orange, black, yellow and green construction paper, tape, glue, scissors.
A cube that is 10 cm on each side is a liter. The volume of a cube is found by the equation V = l x w x h. If a cube is 10 cm on each side, the volume of the cube = 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm. This is equal to 1000 centimeters cubed. A centimeter cubed is equal to one milliliter and 1000 centimeters cubed is equal to one liter. Therefore, 1000 centimeters cubed is one liter. A cube that is orange and 10 cm on each side with a jack-o-lantern face is a jack-o-liter!
1. Cut 6 orange squares 10 cm on each side.
2. Tape the squares together to make a cube.
- Cut out a jack-o-lantern face, stem, and any other desired items.
4. Glue the face and stem to the orange liter cube.
5. Congratulations!! You have made a jack-o-liter
C.W. Stanford Middle School
Hillsborough, North Carolina