view a plan
This lesson on Seeds uses the book “Now I Know All About Seeds”
By – Mollie Tucker
Subject – Science
Grade Level – K-1
Purpose of Activity:
To be aware of how seeds sprout, and that seeds grow into plants.
TLW be aware that seeds grow into plants.
TLW understand that seeds need water and sunlight to sprout.
Brief Description of Activity/Concepts:
Read book “Now I Know All About Seeds” to class. Children will place lima bean seeds on a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag and place them in sunlight.
1. Book on seeds
2. Ziplock snack bags
3. Lima bean seeds
4. Paper towels
5. Spray bottle containing water
6. Scotch tape
1. Read book.
2. The students will discuss story to check understanding.
3. The students will place a wet paper towel in ziplock bag and place four seeds on the paper towel, seal the bag, and tape it in the window.
4. The children will speculate about what will happen to the seeds then draw their predictions on a piece of paper.
5. Children will observe the seeds over the next week to watch the seeds sprout.
Questions for Reflection:
1. How does a plant grow?
2. What do you think the seeds will look like on Monday?
Kuchalla, Susan. Now I Know All About Seeds.
1. Have children predict what will happen to the seeds and draw a picture depicting their ideas.
E-Mail Mollie !