view a plan
This lesson on Plant Parts involves their Function and a Mobile
K, 1, 2
Title – Plants and animals
By – Kay Chaiseree
Primary Subject – Science
Secondary Subjects –
Grade Level – K-2
Objectives: The student will be able to:
1. Identify plant parts-leaf, flower, roots, and stem
2. Explain their function
3. Reassemble a diagram of a plant
4. Create a plant with the four parts to be placed on a mobile
Materials needed: yarn, worksheet of plant parts, live plant, celery, food coloring, hangers
Note from LessonPlansPage.com: This lesson plan uses a plant part worksheet that is not included. You may be able to create your own version of the worksheet, do without the worksheet, or contact the author at the email address at the bottom of this lesson plan to request a copy.
Set: Discuss words of the day.
stem-carries water and food from roots to all the parts of a plant
roots-absorbs water and mineral from the soil.
flower-grows fruit and seeds for new plants
leaf-makes food with help from sun
Read The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
1. Bring in real plant, introduce plant, point to all the plant parts, and explain different
2. Student involvement-review and locate all the parts that we just discussed, using book.
3. Go over poster and use example of pouring water and where water would go-roots,
stem, leaf, point and follow the process on the poster.
4. Have cut out plants parts out of order and as a class, put them in the correct order,
while discussing plant parts again.
5. Do celery experiment-explain what a stem does by placing a piece of celery in colored
water. Have the children hypothesize what the celery might look like according to the
function of the stem.
6. Make mobiles of different plants parts to hang on ceiling. For each plant part, have
each child color and cut, and write an explanation or definition of each plant part on the
back of each part.
Closure: Point to different parts and ask children to explain what each part does.
Evaluation: student mobiles of plant parts, and rearranging parts of plant in correct order
E-Mail Kay Chaiseree !