view a plan
Learning About Plants
Title – Learning About Plants
By – Selena Rodriguez
Primary Subject – Science
Grade Level – Kindergarten
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Science Standard:
- 6(B): The students will record observation about parts of plants including leaves, root, stem, and flowers.
- The student will:
- identify the parts of a plant
- write out the parts of the plant
- label the parts of the plant
List of Materials Needed:
- Flowering plant (optional)
- Create a coloring page worksheet of a plant with blanks pointing to the various parts. Make copies.
- Put worksheets on their desk while the students sit quietly at the carpet.
- Consequences – “If you talk while I am talking, you will have to change your color. If it’s on red, you will have to call home and no recess.“
- Rewards – “If you can tell me one thing that we learned today you can get a sticker” and “If I see that your whole table is working, you get a sticker for your table.“
- Ask children if they can name a least one part of a plant.
- Students sit quietly on the carpet while the teacher puts their worksheets on their desk.
- The teacher tells students to please remain quiet during the lesson and remind them of the consequences and rewards.
- Explain to the students what the class will be doing today and show them an example with the answers filled in.
- Then hide the answers and have students label the plant. Whoever gets them right answer gets a sticker.
- Then tell students that they will be doing the same thing on their worksheet and to color very nicely after they have finished labeling the parts of their plant.
- Walk around and help the students and show the best ones that you see.
- Have students point out the parts of a plant on the teacher’s paper.
- (Optional)Have students point out the parts of a plant on a real plant.