view a plan
Sustainability posters with recycling, composting, water conservation, organic gardening, repurposing and biofuel facts are created by groups here
9, 10, 11, 12
Title – Ecology â€“ Sustainability
By – Leslie Gehris
Primary Subject – Science
Grade Level – 9-12
Differentiated Instruction (Paper-Pass Instructions)
North Carolina Standard 5.03:
- Assess human population and its impact on local ecosystems and global environments:
- Sustainable practices/ stewardship.
Essential Question: How can we contribute to a healthier environment?
- Class will be broken into groups.
- Each group will be given a topic that must be researched using our mobile laptops.
- Water Conservation
- Organic Gardening
- Repurposing (this can be for home use, construction, etc.)
- Each group must research their topic and state ten important facts and/or benefits of this environmental strategy. Groups may include different examples of each topic and how they are important
(example: Low-flow Shower Heads â€“ Why important? How much water can be saved? …)
- Group can write these ten important facts on paper or they can be saved to one group memberâ€™s H drive or flash drive (if your school allows these).
- Each group will be given a poster size paper.
- Each group must come up with a unique, proper and relevant name for their poster.
- One group member will then list one of the ten important facts on their groups paper.
- Once finished, each group will pass their poster to another group in a clockwise fashion around the classroom.
- With each new poster, each group must write down a different fact.
- Therefore, each poster should be different because each group should have ten different facts to share.
- When all groups have finished adding their information, the poster must be returned to original group.
- Once the original group gets their poster back they can make a choice to add art to the poster in hand or they can create a new poster to present.
- If students prefer to use the computer, they can create a PowerPoint presentation using the information gathered on their poster paper.
- At the end of class, each group will present their posters or PowerPoint!
- We will post these around the room to help remind ourselves what we can do everyday to help contribute to a healthier environment!
- We would also ask our administration if we could run the PowerPoint slides during lunches to help increase awareness of sustainability in our community.
E-Mail Leslie Gehris !