view a plan
This is just a set of handy questions that can be used after listening to a radio program available on the Internet on Nuclear Waste Cleanup
Science, Social Studies
9, 12, 11, 10
By – Frank Virzi
Primary Subject – Science
Secondary Subjects – Social Studies
Grade Level – 9 – 12
Here are a set of questions that I ask my students to answer as they are listening to the program. Feel free to copy and use with your classes.
This radio program was aired on National Public Radio on April 3, 1998.
1. How many of the 177 underground storage tanks at the Hanford nuclear reservation are leaking? ____________
2. Who was the Secretary of Energy in 1993?
3. Name 2 kinds of materials other than nuclear wastes that are stored in the tanks at Hanford.
4. About how far below the surface of the ground are the tops of the tanks? ___________________
5. What does the term “preferred pathways” refer to?
6. About how many gallons of radioactive waste have leaked out? __________________
7. The “edge effect” refers to the interaction of
(A) granite and iodine
(B) granite and stontium
(C) mica and technetium
(D) mica and cesium
8. How many square miles of contaminated ground water are there around Hanford? _____________
9. How many gallons are being held in the single and double-shelled tanks? ___________
ANSWERS: 1. 68 2. Hazel O’Leary 3. caustics, organics, sludges, salts 4. 20-40 ft. 5. channels in soil that wastes could travel
through 6. 1,000,000 7. D 8. 85 9. 54 million
E-Mail Frank Virzi !