view a plan
This is a lesson on energy
6, 7, 8
Title – What is Energy?
By – Sunitha Howard
Primary Subject – Science
Grade Level – 6-8
- Students will be able to discuss and recognize energy.
- Regents Exam June 2002 # 33 (
- Brainpop Video on Energy
Delivery of Instruction:
- Go over Do Now exercise
- Ask students the following riddle: What is the mover of matter?
- After listing to student responses, if energy is not one of the responses, have a student run around the room and ask students what “moved” him or her
- Elicit from students what energy means to them
- Go over and discuss some main points regarding energy on the board:
- energy is what makes matter move or change
- energy is the ability to do work
- energy can be classified as:
- Potential or stored energy which converts to
- Kinetic or energy of motion
Example: Bow and arrow ( bow does work on arrow when you release it, arrow does work on target when it hits )
- Discuss with students the different forms of energy:
- chemical ( stored in food )
- electrical ( power plants, batteries )
- light ( sun )
- mechanical ( wind, moving water, sound waves, etc. )
- thermal ( vibrating atoms )
- nuclear ( released inside atoms when they are broken or fused together )
- Brainpop video quiz (
- Discuss how energy plays a role in a baseball game (
be sure to include the players and the ball as well as the spectators
E-Mail Sunitha Howard !