view a plan
Students communicate electronically here while photographing local geography for a PowerPoint presentation
Art, Computers & Internet, Social Studies
9, 10, 11, 12
Title – Digital Camera and Geography
By – John Skaggs
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Art, Computers & Internet
Grade Level – 9-12
- Hometown Geography
- To show students that history and geography are all around us all the time.
- 1.2 – Comprehending the past
- 5.1 – Information processing
- 6.2 – Group discussion, and
- Use available technologies to communicate with others on a class assignment or project.
- Power Point
- E-mail account
- “For this assignment, we will be looking at geographic areas in our own city. Each student will take a camera (provided by the school or your own) and take five pictures of different geography themes around us. This could be a tree, rock formation, hill, or stream. We will put these pictures onto a computer and make a PowerPoint presentation.
- You will be paired with a partner. You will share your pictures with your partner and give your thoughts on how old these objects are and how they got there. This communication must be done out of class and via e-mail or instant messenger. Text messaging is appropriate. We will then see if we can analyze these pictures and find out how they got there and how old they may be.”
- This assignment teaches students to communicate with each other in person as well as via electronic devices. I will see how well they communicated with each other as well as how well they can follow directions as to taking pictures and giving details about them.
E-Mail John Skaggs !