view a plan
Here’s an idea for creating a Bill of Rights Mural
Art, Social Studies
8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Title – “Bill of Rights Mural”
By – Michelle Beerbower
Subject – Social Studies, Art
Grade Level – 8-12
*I have used this assignment in both Civics and Government classrooms.
Objective: To Enhance the Students Understanding of the Bill of Rights.
1. After introducing the Bill of Rights, I broke the class into 10 two or three person groupings.
2. Each group picked a number from a jar. The number represented the Amendment to the Constitution that they would be responsible for on our mural.
3. Each group received a very large sheet of paper (poster size or larger is recommended).
4. Each group “paints a mural” of their amendment using only pictures/symbols and NO WRITTEN WORDS!!
5. Drawings/Collages/Painting–any medium is acceptable.
6. I gave the groups approximately 2-3 days from conception of the idea to the finished product (after which they presented their mural to the class).
7. Display murals in the classroom/hallway
E-Mail Michelle !