view a plan
In this marketing lesson, students develop a company, product, marketing plan and advertisements
Computers & Internet, Social Studies
Title – Marketing Project
By – Keisha Crenshaw
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Computers & Internet
Grade Level – 11-12
- Students will work on a team,
- students will collaborate to create a company profile,
- students will work together to determine individual roles in their company,
- students will collectively create a PowerPoint presentation,
- students will create a concept for a product or service to market.
- This lesson is designed to develop career and employability skills, specifically
- Michigan Content Standard 7, Teamwork:
- all students will work cooperatively with people of diverse backgrounds and abilities, identify with the group’s goals and values, learn to exercise leadership, teach others new skills, serve clients or customers, and will contribute to a group process with ideas, suggestions and efforts.
Learning Resources and Materials:
- Computers with internet access
- Overhead Projector and screen
Development of Lesson:
- This is the first lesson in a three-part project. Students will work together to develop a company, product or service, marketing plan and various advertisements. At this point in the course, students will have studied various marketing techniques, advertising styles, sales plans and market conditions. These junior and senior level students will have already taken general business and other foundational courses. Students will work together to decide who’s skills are the best match for different parts of the project. Their ending results will be presented in class by the entire group.
- This will be a group assignment; depending on class size, there will be 2-3 groups. Students will be given time to come up with a concept for a product or service, develop a company, its name and profile, and assign job titles to the members of the group (CEO, VP, etc.). Students will create a PowerPoint presentation introducing their company, its staff and its product or service.
- Working on this project as a group will allow students to contribute collectively and each in their own areas of expertise. There will be periodic submissions of progress due for evaluation by the instructor to ensure that students are on the right track. In class discussion time, real world examples of companies, their marketing plans and advertising campaigns should be given.
- Students will be evaluated on their ability to work harmoniously as a group. Each student should have an active role in the assignment. Students PowerPoint presentation will be graded based on the following criteria: minimum number of slides, visual clarity, presence of required information and presentation to the class. Students will also be graded on the development of their company and the assignment of duties within the group.
- Once part one is complete, the class will move on to part two. After all groups have presented their company to the class, they will continue to work together on the next phase of the project. Students will have an opportunity to discuss in open class their ideas to get feed back from the other groups, who could possibly represent their target market.
E-Mail Keisha Crenshaw !