view a plan
Using Photo Story 3 software, students create a family tree presentation here
Computers & Internet, Social Studies
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Title – Family Tree Photo Story
By – Veronica Baca
Primary Subject – Social Studies
Secondary Subjects – Computers & Internet
Grade Level – 1-6
- Students will create a family tree of their family members on both sides of their parents. They will first create the family tree on paper. Students will then create a photo story describing their family members and adding available photos narrating their family tree.
- White paper
- Diagram of family tree design
- Interview both parents on family members
- Computer with internet service
- Photo Story 3 downloaded onto computer
- Photos of family members
- Script of photo story narration
- Students will be able to use technology tools/software to describe their family in a narrated format using Photo Story.
- Students will be able to create a script from interviewing their parents.
- Students will be able to use technology software to develop their family tree video using Photo Story 3.
- Students will develop skills in movie creation and storytelling by learning to use Photo Story 3.
- Students will be able to use prior knowledge in their skills in technology by using a computer and scanner to complete their family tree video.
- The lesson will begin by having an informal discussion on students reflecting back on their knowledge of their families’ culture and the size of their family.
- Students will then explain why it is important to them to research their families’ history.
- The teacher will explain several reasons (based on students’ answers) why it will be educational to learn about their history of their family members.
- Students will begin discussion on the importance on getting acquainted with their family members and learning their background history.
- Students will design a paper draft of their family tree to use as a guide for their photo story video.
- Students will participate in a tutorial on how to use Photo Story 3.
- Students will then scan their photos of their family members to use upload onto Photo Story 3.
- Students will then practice using Photo Story 3 to familiarize themselves with the program.
- Students will work on their project and create their family tree photo story project.
- Students will then complete their project and present their project for peer evaluation.
- Students will complete their project by adding the final touches to their photo story project and making any necessary changes.
- Before students complete their final project, they will discuss and reflect on any new material they have gathered or learned throughout the learning process in which they would like to add to enhance their project.
- Students will be receiving a rubric on designing a paper design of their family tree and a rubric designing their photo story family tree.
- Students will also present their photo story project for peer evaluation.
- Students who need assistance will be working in groups with other peers or the required information needed to complete their project will be condensed (such as only creating a photo story project instead both assignments: paper draft family tree and photo story project).
- Gifted students can be challenged by being encouraged to be creative on their photo story design, such as with the music they add or with changes in graphic design.
E-Mail Veronica Baca !